Thursday, March 8, 2007

Glimpses of God's Love


Almost two weeks into this parenting thing, the most unexpected joy that I have found in being a dad is the immediate and unconditional love I felt for Jordan. The moment I laid eyes on him and held him, I loved him deeply enough that I knew I would be willing to give my life for him. He had done nothing to earn this love - he wasn't even 10 seconds old! And yet he was loved more than he could ever know.


And as I've reflected on it, I understand why the Bible uses Father imagery and language when talking about the love God has for us as His children. In parenting, I think the love we have for our children is the closest taste we'll ever get of the kind of undeserved, unconditional love that the Father has for us. While my love for Jordan pales in comparison to God's love for me, it has given me a glimpse into God's boundless love and it leaves me speechless every time I think about it.


~Matt

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Matt, You have to know that when I saw this picture it looked like you were holding my baby Sally. What memories it brought to mind. She was, and is still so beautiful. Thank you for sharing your thoughts on parenting. Like I've said before, "You Matt, are a gift given to this family from the very hands of God." I love you all.

Anonymous said...

Matt - Your words made me cry, maybe because I understand so well what you mean. You want to hear something ironic? The Tuesday after the baby shower for Sally and Jordan, I shared those same sentiments with my devotions group at school - that little Jordan, (at that time not yet born)who is already so incredibly loved, even though he has done nothing to deserve it. He is loved just because of who he is, and whose he is. And that's exactly the way God is. He loves us because of who we are in His eyes, not because of anything we do or deserve. Jordan is one very blessed little boy to be born to such amazing parents! I love you and miss you all!
Love, Mom

P.S. And Grandma Cynthia - we think the same about Sally - that she is an absolute gift to our family!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations, Matt and Sally! Sounds like you've got this thing figured out! Many blessings to you and little Jordan.
Paul Otte